What is Christianity?
Enjoy. Explore. Discover.
Christianity is pretty simple. It’s all about one life, the life of Jesus.
The core beliefs of Christianity are summarised in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4.
- Jesus died for our sins,
- was buried,
- was resurrected,
- and thereby offers salvation to all who will receive Him in faith.
Christianity is more about a relationship than religious practices.
Instead of adhering to a list of “dos and don’ts,” the goal of a Christian is to cultivate a close connection with God.
That relationship is made possible because of the work of Jesus Christ in human history and continually empowered by the Holy Spirit.
Beyond these core beliefs, Christians believe that:
- The Bible is the inspired, “God-breathed” Word of God and that its teaching is the final authority in all matters of faith and practice.
- There is one God who exists in three persons—the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit.
- Human beings were created to enjoy a relationship of freedom with God as his children. Instead, we have chosen to live for other things like reputation, sex, money, power, or comfort. The bible calls this idolatry and it is what drives human beings to destructive and self-destructive behaviour (sin).
- The Bible argues that sin is not just the wrong things we do, it is an enslaving power that traps us.
- Because God loves everything he has made, he refused to allow us to remain trapped in sin forever. Instead, he chose to enter our world as a man, Jesus, in order to rescue us from sin.
- Jesus Christ walked this earth, fully God, and yet fully man and died on the cross. After His death, Jesus was buried, rose again, and now lives.
- Because sin is not just wrong things, but a power that controls us, there is nothing that anyone can do to earn salvation. We cannot be “good enough” to save ourselves.
- Jesus’ death on the cross was sufficient to completely free us from the power and penalty of sin. Those who accept Jesus offer of rescue are liberated to live as God intended; a life marked by love, peace, freedom and the absence of fear.
Christians look forward to the time when Jesus will return to heal and restore everything he has made.
At this time, those who have died trusting Jesus will be raised to life just as he was, never to die again.